The Level 4 Certificate in Professional Development (Youth Work), launched in January 2023, builds knowledge and skills for particular youth work specialisms, as well as develop management and leadership competency, and confidence forging effective relationships in youth work.
The qualification is aimed at youth workers and those in allied services such as social workers, police officers, emergency services, teachers and the youth service.
The launch of the new Level 4 Certificate reflects the NYA’s commitment to develop further training and resources for youth organisations and partner sectors to help youth work and allied sectors work together more effectively to benefit the young people they serve.
Who is this course for?
Learners must be over 19 years and hold a formal Level 3 qualification in Youth Work (or related discipline) and apply via one of the Awarding Bodies: Skills and Education Group, the AIM Group, NCFE, NOCN Group, Agored Cymru, and Open Awards.
150 hours learning are required over a period of up to 10 months
By the end of the course learners will have
- Undertaken the Introduction to Professional Development (Youth Work) unit
- Selected two further units from Learners then at least two further units from a menu of 23, covering themes such as Trauma Informed Practice; Gender Identity; Mental Health and Wellbeing; Race and Racism; Disability; Faith; Violence, Gangs and Exploitation; Digital Youth Work; Leadership and Management in Youth Work; and Participation and Democracy.
- There are also units relating to youth work in different settings such as Children’s Social Care, Formal Education, Youth Justice, Social Work, and the Secure Estate.
- Studied units on Critical Youth Work Practice (Exploring/ Opening up Gendered Worlds) considering gender vocabulary
- Had the opportunity to investigate gender related issues
The new Level 4 Certificate has been developed by the National Youth Agency in collaboration with the Education Training Standards (ETS) Wales and Education Training Standards (ETS) England for individuals working in a Youth Work environment.