skip to navigation

Previously gained qualifications - JNC recognition

Checking whether previously gained qualifications have JNC recognition

The nature and level of qualifications required to confer professionally qualified status for the JNC have changed over the years. Once you have achieved professionally qualified status this does not change, even thought the qualifications might. The NYA holds a list of all those courses and programme that have previously conferred qualified status for youth workers, and for the purpose of being recognised under the terms of the JNC, the course or programme that you studied on must be included on this list and for the dates  when you were engaged in study.

Historical qualifications that confer professionally qualified youth worker status

There are a small number of other qualifications, which confer qualified youth worker status.

  • People who gained the status of qualified teacher by 31 December 1988 are recognised as qualified to hold professional youth work posts.
  • Those who gained a social science degree between 1974 and 1981 will be recognised as qualified subject to supervision and satisfactory performance in the work place for a period of one year, which has been formally signed off.

Whilst it is recognised that there are a number of allied professions and qualifications held from other disciplines in the wider arena of working with young people,  unless covered by the above these are not recognised as conferring professionally qualified status under the terms of the JNC.

Mutual Recognition across the United Kingdom

Professional (higher education) qualifications are recognised in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as long as the programme of study has been professionally validated by the NYA (England), ETS Wales or the Joint ETS for Northern Ireland and Ireland. Different arrangements for professional training and qualification apply in Scotland, butthe same provision for recognition is made for programmes recognised by the CLD Standards Council.

Individual Recognition

The NYA operates a scheme in conjunction with ETS Wales and the joint ETS for Northern Ireland and Ireland for holders of qualifications obtained in institutions outside the UK. Non-UK or Irish Nationals who wish to check if their qualification in Youth and Community Work, or its equivalent, awarded in another country is recognised in the UK and Ireland will be able to apply to the appropriate national body to seek recognition. For England this will be the National Youth Agency.

Applications for individual recognition should be made directly to the country in which the applicant is seeking recognition.

For England contact The National Youth Agency on e-mail:

For information on youth work and youth work training in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland contact:

CLD Standards Council for Scotland, 9th Floor, The Optima, 58 Robertson Street. Glasgow. G2 8DU
Tel: 0141 282 5263

ETS Wales c/o Welsh Local Government Association, Local Government House, Drake Walk, Cardiff CF10 4LG
Tel: 029 20 468687

Youth Council for Northern Ireland,Forestview, Purdey's Lane, Belfast BT8 4TA.
Tel: T: +44 (0)28 9064 3882 Fax: +44 (0)28 9064 3874