Supporting youth work
Policy issues affecting the youth sector
We work closely with both national and local government, partners and key stakeholder groups to influence policy development and help raise awareness of how youth work transforms lives.
We work with the Cabinet Office, as part of the Youth Policy Stakeholder Group, the Standing Committee on Youth Justice, the National Partnership Forum and the Children’s Inter-agency Group.
Our policy work includes the following activities:
- Commissions: we hold commissions to investigate key policy issues and offer recommendations to both government and the sector. Read more on our commissions.
- Consultations: we respond to consultations to help shape policy or legislative developments that affect young people and the youth work sector.
- Party conferences: we hold fringe events and receptions within the Youth Zone at each of the main party conferences.
- Briefings: we publish briefings to update and support the sector on key topics – these are available in our online resource library.
- Policy news: we provide short monthly updates on key announcements that affect both the workforce and the young people we support. Sign up to our newsletter to receive them. Read archived policy notes here.
Youth services in the UK have been subject to a large range of financial cuts and restrictions. We’re compiling a list of services affected by cuts. Take a look at our Cuts Watch policy page.
The youth sector is undergoing massive change. In conjunction with the regional youth work units, we’ve produced a report on the emerging trends in service provision- read the report here.