Over 20 Members of Parliament have already committed to visiting a youth project within their constituency for our annual campaign, as part of Youth Work Week 2014.
Give an Hour invites MPs to dedicate some of their time to finding out about the impact youth work and youth workers make to the lives of young people in their area. It is an opportunity for youth organisations to get under the nose of major decision makers and demonstrate why their work is important.
On 2 October MP Barry Sheerman visited a sports programme at North Huddersfield Trust School, delivered by Kirklees Community Recreation Team.
Mr Sheerman said, “I was delighted to ‘give an hour’ to youth work and I am in full support of the National Youth Agency’s excellent campaign. It was inspiring to see youth workers making such a positive impact on the young people of Huddersfield. It is so important for young people to learn the skills necessary to get a good job and live a good life, and youth workers play a large role in helping them achieve this.”
On 8 October Henry Bellingham MP visited a group of young careers in Kings Lynn, who are supported by youth organisation SPEADA.
Mr Bellingham said, “It really was great to see for myself the superb work that SPEADA and others are doing on behalf of our younger carers. I thought the atmosphere was really positive, and what a fantastic bunch of young carers they are! I was also very impressed with the commitment and enthusiasm of the youth workers.”
Give an Hour will continue to take place until the end of November 2014 and will include visits from Shadow Minister for Education and MP for Bethnal Green and Bow Rushanara Ali and Shadow Minister for Public Health and MP for Liverpool, Wavertree Luciana Berger.
MP commitment to Give an Hour 2014 so far:
- Richard Graham MP – The Link, Young Gloustershire
- Madeleine Moon MP – KPC Youth
- Mike Thornton MP – 4 Youth
- Nick de Bois MP – Enfield Island Village Youth Centre
- Henry Bellingham MP – SPEADA
- Rt Hon George Howarth MP – Our Place, Knowsley Youth Mutual
- Nick Brown MP – Live Theatre
- Barry Sheerman MP – North Huddersfield Trust School, Kirklees Community Rec Team
- Andrew Bridgen MP – Green Hill Youth Centre
- Laurence Robertson MP – 1st Tewkesbury Boys’ Brigade
- Simon Wright MP – The Base
- Sir Bob Russell MP – Colchester Town House
- Chi Onwurah MP – Space2
- Luciana Berger MP, shadow minister for public health – Harthill Youth Centre
- David Amess MP – Southend YMCA
- Pauline Latham MP – Blue Box Youth Group
- Rosie Winterton MP – Wheatly Youth Centre
- Peter Aldous MP – Shine Project YMCA Suffolk
- Rushanara Ali MP , shadow education minister – Reach Out, Cayley Primary School
- Fiona MacTaggart MP – Slough Young Commissioners
- Rachel Reeves MP, shadow work and pensions secretary – Getaway Girls
- Richard Fuller MP – Access Bedford Youth Club
- Ian Mearns MP – Dunston Drop In Youth Centre